10.02.2007

Deep Thoughts by Jenn Daniels

While in Hurricane last weekend (that is pronounced hurra-kin for those who have never listened closely to someone from southern Utah) we were lucky enough to go to Zion National Park and spend the afternoon. There were several wonderful surprises about that glorious fall day. The first great surprise was that we got into the park for free. No, we didn't sneak in. No, the park ranger did not think my husband was super hot and deserving of a freebie. (But for the record, he is super hot.) It was National Public Lands Day which is like a holiday for the national parks. Isn't it great to be an American?

It was an amazing afternoon for a variety of reasons:
1. Grandma Jill ran down the trail like one of the grandkids.
2. When Drew saw a small rapid, he yelled out "Look at the big waves!"
3. Ethan found a piece of wood that looked like a gun - and hasn't put it down since.
4. I carried Ty around in the baby bjorn. Snuggly!
5. My sisters (and their husbands and kids) were there. Joel - we missed you. Seriously, we really did.
6. Skipping rocks.
7. The weather was a perfect 70 degrees. For the first time in about six months, it felt a little chilly.
8. A little exercise does the body (and mind!) good.
9. Eric's face lit up everytime the boys smiled.
10. I learned something new about myself. (For those who aren't bored yet, read on.)





So while I was there, and since I've been home, I have been reflecting on our little adventure. Here's my train of thought...
While on the shuttle the guide announced that 2.5 million people will visit Zion this year. I couldn't help but think about the 2.5 million people and wonder how many of them actually look at Zion and its majesty and don't see the beauty. Or how many of them see it from a scientific standpoint? How many actually look up at the red rock, cascading water and lush landscape and see the hand of God? Which got me thinking - I have a pretty normal life. Odds are that I won't ever be famous or filthy rich. I won't find the cure for cancer or find the solution for world peace. My realm of influence is relatively small and when I make mistakes or have great success it doesn't readily change the course of my existence. My day to day life can get a bit hectic but for the most part, there isn't an abundance of miraculous events. Or is there? I have come to the conclusion that my normal life is punctuated by extraordinary moments. What makes those moments extraordinary is my acknowledgment of them. Zion probably isn't all that spectacular to a number of different people. But it is to me. By acknowledging a tender moment, a blessing, a spirit, a feeling, I am also acknowledging my Heavenly Father and His hand in my life. So many thanks to National Public Lands Day and a shout out to the entire parks system. I have gained a new perspective on my life as it is. That's really as deep as it gets for me.