9.16.2007

Elder Ehorn - Transfer Time

Here is Joel's letter from this week! What will we do if we don't get a letter from him??? Oh how I'll miss my weekly dose!

Hey family and friends
Its been such a good week. lots of work lots of good lessons. there is good news and bad news. good news I am getting transfered to a new area on Friday. Its called Lamac. There in Lamac I will follow up train. Cool huh. The hard part is that I am going to be follow up training someone from my own batch. meaning someone that got to the mission the same time I did. But he is
Philipino so I dont know him yet. I hope it is not hard for him to be trained by someone that got here the same time he did. President told me in my interview on Friday that the spirit was very "firm" about where he needed to transfer me. So that means I know the Lord wants me to go there and do what I can. President said you are in for a real challenge there. The bad news is
that it is the most bukid or Jungley part of the whole cebu mission. There are no cars there no roads no nothing. No grocery stores. and here is the shocker, no internet. Meaning I am not quite sure how i am going to continue to email while I am there. its pretty expensive to go to my area because the only way in is on the back of a scooter because there are no roads just dirt paths. its about an hour ride on a scooter to the nearest town. haha I am so excited and pumped about going and teaching the gospel there. There are not a lot of people there so the work is hard also. I guess maybe every other Preperation day me and my companion will Pakyaw or scooter to the nearest town so we can email. So if you dont get an email for a few weeks or something dont worry im still alive. ha. Isnt that so crazy. I am so excited to go live in the jungle. Im sad I will transfer on Friday and we have two baptisms on Saturday that i wont be there for. I guess thats part of the mission experience. Sounds like everyone is doing really good. Oh i want to tell you about a new family we started teaching last week. they live out in the middle of nowhere in our area right now and we met the son as we were walking in a different part of town. Anyway said he was interested to here our message so we went with him to his house and
taught the whole family. There are 7 members of the family and they are just super stoked on the gospel now. I know they are going to get baptized. I just know it. they are probably the poorest people I have taught and last time they made us dinner. I could not beleive it. I could tell they had not eaten yet but the mother had made us Mais which is basically corn grits, (only the most poor people eat mais because it is cheaper than rice) and Utan which is basically plants from around the area turned into a vegetable soup. It wasnt the best dinner I have ever had but it was the most delicious meal i have ever had in an indescribable way. I wish every member of the church could just come take a look at the sacrifices people are making here just to get a feel of the spirit. Just to get take in the gospel. Its absolutely amazing. I will take a picture with the family before I transfer so you all can see. I dont ever want to forget them. oh and the son that we talked to out in the street. His name is Joel. weird huh. anyway really great experience. Ok everyone remember to pray for me because I will be in the Jungle starting this next Friday. I will do all I can to get to a computer to email but i make no promises. Just remember that the Lord is watching out for me. If I die there buy a pet bull-dog and name him japedo for me. Joke. I wont die.
Bye
Sincerely Elder Joel Porter Ehorn