3.04.2008

The Dixie Chicks Were Right!

I actually haven't really thought about the Dixie Chicks for quite some time - maybe not since college when Carie Clark and I went to Country Night at Club Omni and I perfected my line dancing skills. But this weekend I had the privilege of attending the Lehi Days Rodeo held in Mesa, AZ and that whole ballad about...

I said I wanna touch the earth
I wanna break it in my hands
I wanna grow something wild and unruly
Cowboy take me away

I know you just started singing.

...let's just say there is something in me that wants to be "country." (Not the Brittney Spears version though.)

There is something very appealing about a manly cowboy wearing wranglers, boots and hats and swinging rope around. So I guess it makes sense now that I married a man whose family owns a bull ranch in Iowa...so what if he traded his boots for flip flops and his stallion for a Jeep. He did "take me away" ... to Arizona. And I think our house is built on old farm land.

Every time we visit Iowa I swear I could live there. But I don't think the Arizona boy would come with me and it wouldn't be much fun without him. Lucky for me I have three sons who will hopefully spend some time working at the ranch and learning the ropes of cowboy life. For now, I have Drew who loves to wear his cowboy boots - a special gift from "Tractor Grandpa." A little old man told Drew, "Why wear pants when you can show off those boots with shorts?" Gotta love this cowboy.